10 Amazing Facts About New Born Babies you should know
1. Neuroscientists theorize that babies don’t dream for the first few years of their lives because their brains aren’t quite developed enough for it.
2. Up until about 1985, doctors conducted surgeries on babies without the use of numbing medicines because they believed they didn’t feel pain. This was because infants don’t have a conscious memory and the pain wouldn’t cause any long-term harm. They also found it impossible to determine the level of a baby’s pain since they can’t speak or react like a grown person.
3. A mother feels compelled to kiss her baby because she will ingest any bacteria/viruses on the baby’s skin, thus creating antibodies that go into her breast milk. They will protect the baby from possible infection.
4. If you lay a newborn baby on a mother’s stomach, it will crawl up and attach to the mother’s Tip because it has a similar smell to amniotic fluid. This is also why babies suck on their fingers they usually have amniotic residue on them right after they’re born.
5. Babies and their mothers can exchange DNA while the baby is in the womb. The cells can live in the mother for years.
6. At birth, babies do not have kneecaps but they dohave a structure of cartilage that resembles kneecaps. They usually don’t develop them fully until after six months.
7. A new born baby breathing rate is 40 breathes per minute. However, the respiratory rate for a healthy adult at rest is 12–20 breaths per minute.
8. A baby has about 270 bones at birth. As the baby grows, some of the bones, such as those in the skull, fuse together. This is why adults have only 206 bones in their bodies.
9. A baby has three times taste buds as adult. In addition to their tongue, new born babies have taste buds on the roof, back, and sides of their mouth.
10. Most babies have aninnate swimming and diving reflex until they are about six months old. This helps them survive if they are placed in water.
They will instinctively hold their breath, their heart rate will decrease, and blood circulation to their fingers and toes is reduced.
However, these abilities quickly disappear.